History of the Barneveld Free Library
Barneveld Free Library Association was formed in 1874 when Jacob Wicks offered a room, rent free, for the use of a library. A subscription paper was circulated for the purpose of raising funds and the sum of $99 was secured. On November 21, 1874, the subscribers met in the home of Dr. Luther Guiteu and organized as the Trenton Library Association. The association started with 240 books.
Unfortunately, on March 17, 1875, the entire block where the library was located burned and most of the books were lost. The exceptions were the 40 books in circulation at the time of the fire. However, the citizens were resolved to have a library. They met and raised $118.75. Books were donated from many parts of the country. By the end of 1875 a total of 1,200 volumes had been received.
On June 12, 1875, the organization was incorporated. as the Barneveld Library Association. The incorporators chose to name the library after the Village of Barneveld, which had been named by Gerrit Boon.
It was then decided to erect a building. A Site was bought from John Hughes for $100. Mr. Hughes gave back half of the purchase price as a contribution. By 1876, the association had raised $1,200.
The cornerstoneof the building, which is still in use, was laid July 27, 1877. The total cost of the building was about $1,700. The building was erected by the great- grandfather of Alexander Pirnie of Utica.
Today the library is linked with the Mid-York Library System by computer, offers wi-fi service, internet accessable computers, pre-school story hours and numerous programs throughout the year. The library is called the Barneveld Free Library, and has become a museum and a historical center as well.